On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM, steve <st...@lonetwin.net> wrote:

> On 09/15/2009 08:56 PM, Vishal wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to raise an exception of type Exception(), however the
>> regular exception stack trace needs to be supressed.
>>
>> This is needed in a function that takes raw_input() from the user and
>> based on 'Y' or 'N', the function suspends further execution and returns
>> to the python prompt or Hicontinues. An exit() brings it out of the python
>> process....where as what is needed is coming back to the python prompt.
>>
>> I want a custom message to appear instead of a regular exception stack
>> trace message.
>>
>> How to do this? any pointers...?
>>
> Python 2.6 (r26:66714, Jun  8 2009, 16:07:29)
> [GCC 4.4.0 20090506 (Red Hat 4.4.0-4)] on linux2
> ...     1 + "foo"
> ... except Exception, e:
> ...     traceback.format_stack(limit=1)
> ['  File "<stdin>", line 4, in <module>\n']
>
> HTH,
> - steve

Forgot to mention that we are currently stuck with python2.5.2
As part of a debug/test hook, I would like to suspend further action of a
program, after a certain point in the procedure. What I had come up with is
a function named testHook() which does this:

def testHook():
    """
    """
    choice = raw_input("Would you like to continue (Y or N): ")
    try:
        if(str(choice).lower() != 'y'):
            print("You chose not to go ahead. Ok!!\nAborting Now...")
            raise Exception("User initiated Abort...")
    except Exception:
        raise # re-raise it..so we come out of execution loop

In this case, a stack trace gets printed out, before the string 'user
initiated abort' comes up. I want to remove that stack trace...so it looks
more clean to a user.

What can be done in this case? or any other way of creating such a hook?

--
Thanks and best regards,
Vishal Sapre