I don't post much to this list (though I follow it regularly), and don't
want to start a flamewar of sorts, but one of these responses made me think
twice.

Being vague and  clueless about what you want to know will elicitnothing
more LMGTFY.com
Think twice before you bang out an email and decide to waste the time
of 100s of people who will read your email.

I know that a lot of people here are programmers who are very busy in their
professional lives. Nevertheless, there may be a person who is throwing out
a simple query, as it were. "Could we talk about the uses of Python in
mobile development?' : that sort of thing.

As far as I know the scope of this list (and I honestly don't profess to be
an expert in that direction), I feel that such a query isn't totally
inappropriate. I mean, yes, one can use Google, and look up PyS60 and other
stuff, but getting feedback from someone who actually *does program phones
using PyS60* right here in Bangalore is infinitely more invaluable than a
comment on Stack Overflow or thereabouts.

Of course, the wording of the OP is probably not what I would have used
myself, but I guess in a society where we are not entirely at ease using
English as our first language, nor confident enough to use our own entirely,
 nonconformity is to be expected, isn't it?

*tl;dr* : If some people have vague responses, it could be because they are
vaguely interested in the subject. Is that sufficient grounds to shoot them
down?