On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
<abpil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Praveen Kumar <
> praveen.python.pl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Well, the supposedly biggest "friend" of open source is
> supposedly using Python in a large scale for all its developer APIs
> and the creator of Python works there, so I don't get why
> Google cannot take the leadership and fund a few CPython
> core developers to get it up to speed, if that is what they
> really want. Instead of that they are creating confusion by
> starting on projects like Unladen Swallow, criticizing CPython
> and finally this rumor - it clearly doesn't help Python language
> in any way, though it could be helping Google.

 It is not a surprise to me. When you have whole planet looking at an
application, it will make sense to develop a sclable application from
start. The problem with python is that it was designed for simplicity
and not scalability or speed. Speed or scalability without some
workround is way too difficult. Most speed or scalability
optimizations result in breaking compatibility with CPython based
modules. So there is a tradefoff either speed or simplicity. Google
project Unladen Swallow aims to tilt the tradeoff towards speed :)

regards
Vivek