On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:51 AM, murugadoss <murugadoss2...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> Thanks for the Reply.
> I am able to extract the file manually, using "tar -xzvf sample.tar.gz"
> command.

Probably needs a "r;gz" mode instead of just "r"
>From the tarfile module doc :

tarfile.open(*name=None*, *mode='r'*, *fileobj=None*, *bufsize=10240*, *
**kwargs*)ΒΆ <http://docs.python.org/library/tarfile.html#tarfile.open>

Return a
TarFile<http://docs.python.org/library/tarfile.html#tarfile.TarFile>object
for the pathname
*name*. For detailed information on
TarFile<http://docs.python.org/library/tarfile.html#tarfile.TarFile>objects
and the keyword arguments that are allowed, see
*TarFile Objects*<http://docs.python.org/library/tarfile.html#tarfile-objects>
.

*mode* has to be a string of the form 'filemode[:compression]', it defaults
to 'r'. Here is a full list of mode combinations:
   mode action  'r' or 'r:*' Open for reading with transparent compression
(recommended). 'r:' Open for reading exclusively without compression. *
'r:gz'* *Open for reading with gzip compression.* 'r:bz2' Open for reading
with bzip2 compression.