Found this quick, nifty way to determine the ip address of the machine your
py script is running on

import commands
commands.getoutput("/sbin/ifconfig").split("\n")[1].split()[1][5:]

( via http://stackoverflow.com/a/3177266/559456 )

cheers
ashish

*The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found
it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart,
you’ll know when you find it.” - Steve Jobs (1955 - 2011)*