On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Anand Chitipothu <anandol...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 1:51 AM, kracekumar ramaraju <
> kracethekingma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 31, 2014 1:37 AM, "Noufal Ibrahim KV" <nou...@nibrahim.net.in>
> > wrote:

> > nou...@nibrahim.net.in>
> > little

> tools,
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > They're both RDBMs. Unless you have legacy stuff to support or are tied
> > > down to mySQL for any non tech. reason, I can't really think of how it
> > > would be what one needs.
> >
> > For example, MySQL MyISAM is fast for read replica. Again MyISAM is
> > terrible choice for write.
> >
> > Migrating from MySQL to postgres is really technical debt. Said that
> > postgres quirks very little and ahead of mysql in features. Lot of
> > companies cant migrate to postgres because incoming data is large.
> >
> > Companies choose MySQL knowing lot of consulting companies are around
> like
> > percona, example quora.
> >

> Whoever is using it probably not using it because it is a good database,
> probably something else. For example, friendfeed used it as a nosql store.
>
> I've been through horror of mysql. For example, adding a new index locks
> the entire database. Not only that, since it stores entire database in a
> single file, it rewrites the entire database in to a new file. If you don't
> have 50% disk free, you are gone.
>
> What to add a new column? plan for downtime again.

+1. We had same issues with new columns for every add/alter column.

> The big companies using mysql would have found work-arounds for these
> issues. I don't think individual developers can afford that.

Also, migrating earlier is worth every penny. I find this resource much
helpful
https://github.com/lanyrd/mysql-postgresql-converter

Internet Archive (place where I work) was down for 8 hours because we
> wanted to add couple of columns and build index on them. Fortunately, we
> have switched to Postgres and both these operations can now be done without
> second thoughts.
>
> Anand

*Thanks & Regardskracekumar"Talk is cheap, show me the code" -- Linus
Torvaldshttp://kracekumar.com <http://kracekumar.com>*