On 13.09.2017 at 23:26 wrote Nathan Johnson:
> It would be pretty useful for me if I could link to a shared library
> with knowledge of how to parse configuration files, particularly the
> functionality within src/dird/dird_conf.c .  I'm currently trying to
> pull the functionality into a shared lib and have bareos-dir just
> link to that, but it's a bit thorny.  Is there another easier
> built-in way to be able to do this?  Ideally I'd like to have a third
> party application be able to do a sort of lint check on configuration
> before writing new configs to disk and telling bareos-dir to reload.
> It would also be nice to be able to do this for the bareos-sd
> configs.

Yes, I believe that this will be thorny, especially as the functionality
is mixed in the general parser and dird_conf.c.

How about

bareos-dir -c /you_path_to_a_configuration_directory_to_test/ -t
or
bareos-dir -c /you_configuration_file_to_test -t

?

This will also work for the other daemon.
With "-t" the director will also test if it has access to the catalog
database and if the schema version is right. Maybe this is not wanted in
your case, however, I assume it much easier to adapt this check instead
of moving it to a shared library.

If you are looking for runtime changes, take a look how the "configure
add" bconsole handles this.

Are you also aware of "bareos-dir -xs" to export the configuration schema?

Last (and least): there is also the
"bareos-config set_config_param" functionality, to change configuration
files. Used by some installer to adapt the database setting. Example:

/usr/lib/bareos/scripts/bareos-config set_config_param "bareos-dir"
"Catalog" "MyCatalog" "dbdriver" "mysql"

This works quite well, however is far from being perfect (uses a awk
script).

Hope this helps.

Jörg
--
 Jörg Steffens                   joerg.steff...@bareos.com
 Bareos GmbH & Co. KG            Phone: +49 221 630693-91

 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
 Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
 Geschäftsführer:
 S. Dühr, M. Außendorf, Jörg Steffens, P. Storz