On 02.05.2018 at 00:33 wrote Ruth Ivimey-Cook:
> I have two bare LTO4 scsi drives, both for use by Bareos. I have set up a
> tape media type LTO4 and two pools, Full and Incr. Media is explicitly
> assigned to one or the other pool when created, and all normal jobs are
> assigned to use one or the other pool.
>
> I want both drives to be considered for mounted volumes before bareos asks me
> to (manually) insert a new tape in a drive I select. So if I have a Full-pool
> tape in one drive and an Incr-pool in the other, I should only be asked for a
> new tape when one of them reaches EoM.
>
> Currently only one drive is being used; whenever the system wants a new
> volume for any reason it ejects the tape in drive 0 and waits, even if the
> appropriate volume is already mounted in drive 1!
>
> I don't want to have to use media type to distinguish drives and pools; that
> seems silly, and in any case breaks the use case of a multi tape full backup
> using both drives one after the other, giving me time to change the tape in
> the idle drive.
>
> How can make the system check all available mounted volumes before ejecting
> anything, and using the drive that has the volume available?
>
> I am willing to try to modify the bareos source code if that is needed and
> would appreciate any advice to that end. For example I wondered about adding
> a 'group' feature to storage that essentially makes two drives look like a
> small autochanger.

Grouping devices are done by specifying multiple devices in the
directors Storage Device directive. For disk based backups this is
documented in
http://doc.bareos.org/master/html/bareos-manual-main-reference.html#UsingMultipleStorageDevices

If you are lucky, this will properly also work with tape drives without
autochanger.

If not, you can probably hack together a "virtual autochanger script",
see
http://doc.bareos.org/master/html/bareos-manual-main-reference.html#BareosAutochangerInterface

Anyhow, this is not a typical use case.

Regards,
Jörg

--
 Jörg Steffens                   joerg.steff...@bareos.com
 Bareos GmbH & Co. KG            Phone: +49 221 630693-91

 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
 Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
 Geschäftsführer:
 S. Dühr, M. Außendorf, Jörg Steffens, P. Storz