Things aren't as smooth as I was hoping by dropping back to an EL8 system
and building on that

In short, the build scripts are not correctly detecting they're running on
RHEL and then attempt to set bogus requires, plus miss important things
(like redhat-lsb)

This is occurring because {?rhel_version} isn't valid in rpmbuild unless
you're generating it dynamically - and the specfile does not do that

There's some discussion about this on stackoverflow but the short version
is that you can't (and shouldn't) build for specific RHEL minor versions
-
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55131772/how-to-check-for-redhat-rhel-minor-version-in-rpm-spec-file

Centos is so closely tied into RHEL these days that I doubt the
centos_version macro is working correctly either

Should I post the diff here or pastebin?