I'm far from being an expert on this, but from my experiences...

I had the same error (whereby SD Bytes would be written, and time would pass
for the backup job suggesting data was being written); when backing up clients
between my office and our bareos server in the data center, through a VPN
tunnel.  After some time hunting the issue down, and discovering the tunnel was
resetting after what seemed a random length of time, the dc guys found this to
be due to a volume session limit for the tunnel on their asa.  I'd suggest
looking into whether there are any interruptions in the connection between the
fd and sd.

Cheers,
Phil