Op vrijdag 28 juli 2017 01:39:56 UTC+2 schreef Stefan Klatt:
> Hi,
>
> what about OpenVPN and static IP ranges per client for it?
> This should be secure enough and you have no more problems with dynamic
> IP addresses.
>
> Regards
>
> Stefan
>
> Am 27.07.2017 um 18:19 schrieb PenguinWhispererThe:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've come by Bareos by accident after being a longtime Bacula user.
> > I have local and remote servers (by using some ssh port forwarding
> > fiddling) and some local "static" machines now in my backup and it's
> > working great.
> >
> > Now I'd like to expand this to have laptops backed up as well. These
> > laptops are on the road so the IPs/hostnames can't be put in the config as
> > they're changing.
> >
> > I was wondering if there's a possibility to backup these clients as well.
> > I understand I can open up some firewall ports to the internet to let
> > filedaemons connect to my server. However the server initiates some
> > connections as well IIRC and that would require the client side to change
> > the firewall to allow these (for example the router where this laptop is
> > connected to).
> >
> > Is this secure? And I mainly mean: is it a good idea to have these ports
> > open to the internet? Perhaps someone can bruteforce it or the "protection"
> > is not that strong?
> >
> > Another way would be to install OpenVPN and let each client setup a VPN.
> > While this is certainly possible it's yet another tool that has to be
> > installed + the openvpn tunnel should be up to make the backup work.
> >
> > Any remarks or thoughts are welcome.
> >

> --
> *CaC, Computer and Communication*
> Inhaber Stefan Klatt
> End-2-End Senior Network Consultant
> Triftstrasse 9
> 60528 Frankfurt
> Germany
> USt-IdNr.: DE260461592
>
> Tel.: +49-(0)172-6807809
> Tel.: +49-(0)69-67808-900
> Fax: +49-(0)69-67808-837
> Email: stefan.kl...@cac-netzwerk.de
> Profil: http://www.cac-netzwerk.de/profil

Thanks for your reply. I know I can use OpenVPN for this. However I'd prefer to
have just one client installation and keep things simple.
Users somehow always seem to mess things up and leaving OpenVPN out already
remove one hurdle.

Perhaps there's some option to use a client side script with which I can open
some ssh port forwarding or something with putty. This way I just need to
distribute this instead of install OpenVPN.