So here is what I did to setup REAR backups:

(on bareOSdirector)
Followed this tutorial:

https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/install-samba-server-ubuntu-16-04

-----
(on webserver)
//10.0.3.10/webserver_imgbk     /media/webserver_imgbk  cifs
credentials=/etc/samba/user,noexec       0       0
sudo mount /media/webserver_imgbk

!Install Rear

wget
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Archiving:/Backup:/Rear/Debian_8.0/amd64/rear_2.3-0_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i ./rear_2.3-0_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get -f install

sudo apt-get install genisoimage

vi /etc/rear/local.conf

# This file (local.conf) is intended for manual configuration. For configuration
# through packages and other automated means we recommend creating a new
# file named site.conf next to this file and to leave the local.conf as it is.
# Our packages will never ship with a site.conf.
BACKUP_URL=cifs://10.0.3.10/webserver_imgbk
BACKUP_OPTIONS="cred=/etc/rear/.cifs_credentials"
AUTOEXCLUDE_PATH=( /media )

vi /etc/rear/.cifs_credentials
username=sam
password=<passwd>
domain=WORKGROUP

# Ran:
sudo /usr/sbin/rear -v mkrescue

# Ended up with directory <hostname> with:
README
VERSION
rear-webserver.iso
rear-webserver.log

-----

vi /etc/rear/local.conf

# This file (local.conf) is intended for manual configuration. For configuration
# through packages and other automated means we recommend creating a new
# file named site.conf next to this file and to leave the local.conf as it is.
# Our packages will never ship with a site.conf.
BACKUP=BAREOS
BACKUP_URL=cifs://10.0.3.10/webserver_imgbk
BACKUP_OPTIONS="cred=/etc/rear/.cifs_credentials"
AUTOEXCLUDE_PATH=( /media )

Ran it and it complained that the bconsole was missing...

so I installed the bconsole...

had to set the password for the bconsole correctly to continue with the
script...

Needed to set a variable:

vi /etc/rear/local.conf

# Default is to create Relax-and-Recover rescue media as ISO image
# set OUTPUT to change that
# set BACKUP to activate an automated (backup and) restore of your data
# Possible configuration values can be found in
/usr/share/rear/conf/default.conf
#
# This file (local.conf) is intended for manual configuration. For configuration
# through packages and other automated means we recommend creating a new
# file named site.conf next to this file and to leave the local.conf as it is.
# Our packages will never ship with a site.conf.
BACKUP=BAREOS
BACKUP_URL=cifs://10.0.3.10/webserver_imgbk/
BACKUP_OPTIONS="cred=/etc/rear/.cifs_credentials"
AUTOEXCLUDE_PATH=( /media )
BAREOS_FILESET=webserver-imgbk-job-fs

Ran it again...this time it worked:

$ sudo /usr/sbin/rear -v mkrescue

But!  In regards to the BAREOS_FILESET, can I use that to restore more than one
fileset?

By for instance specifying it as an array like this?

BAREOS_FILESET=( webserver-imgbk-job-fs webserver-filebk-job-fs )