The question that comes to mint is "how sparse is the sparse file". I know it sounds a bit strange but the bareos sparcity logic, as I see in the docs is that it checks whether a 32k block is made entirely of zeros. So if your sparse file doesn't have continuous 32k blocks (properly aligned I suppose) it won't get treated as sparse.