Bareos is very flexible in terms of preparing a job. You can run a "pre-job" script. It can be run either on server's side or client's side. I suppose you'd prefer client's side in this case.

https://docs.bareos.org/Configuration/Director.html#config-Dir_Job_RunScript

And you can fail the backup job if the script returns an error (non-zero exit status).

Best regards,

MK