On 11.06.2020 14:29, Kai Zimmer wrote:
Hi,

in former times i used bareos with a mysql database backend. However it became too slow and i switched to a secondary postgres catalogue. I need to keep the mysql database as a history though.

Now i'm switching from Ubuntu 16.04 (mysql 5.7) to Ubuntu 20.04 (mysql 8.0) and i'm unable to start the mysqld server because of incompatible data structures. I tried dumping the database on another Ubuntu 16.04 machine, but the SQL-dump file is only about 128 gb in size, although the binary index files are > 200 GB in size.

The size of database files is not directly related to a dump size. Firstly, the database files can contain spaces from which data has already been deleted but which was not reused yet. Secondly, remember that database files contain not only raw data (which you get dumped into a dump file) but also index structures. The more indices you have created in the database, the more extra space is used. So I wouldn't be surprised if the dump was indeed performed properly.

If you have doubts hovewer I'd advise you to try to restore the database onto another server and check whether select count(*) from each table is the same as on your source server.