You will have some complexity with the size of your data and the size of your
loader.  Unless your data compresses really well.
Does it have more than one tape drive?  Your total loader capacity is 48 TBytes
raw, and you need 2x your full size to do Consolidations or new Fulls or you
have gaps in your protection.

If I’m reading this right you want an off site copy.

If that’s correct I would go about this two different ways,

* Get a much bigger loader with 2 drives
or
* Expand backups server raid6 to have Full + growth*Growth Window capacity

I would then use migrate+Archive jobs to make my off site and copy to tape.

In the first case you can avoid the extra migrate, just do an archive to a pool
of tapes you eject.

Workflow case 1  Bigger Tape loader 2 or more tape drives.
* Spool to Disk
* AI-Consolidated Pool Tape
* AI-Incremental Pool Disk
* Offsite Pool Tape

Fulls and Consolidations backups go to AI-Consolidated Tape pool,
Your daily go to disk until they are consolidated into tape.

To create your off sites you can use a copy job of whatever full you want.
https://docs.bareos.org/TasksAndConcepts/AlwaysIncrementalBackupScheme.html#copy-jobs

I personally for offsite to avoid issues with Always Incremental jobs use an
Archive job
https://docs.bareos.org/TasksAndConcepts/AlwaysIncrementalBackupScheme.html#virtual-full-jobs

This avoids the offsite tapes being upgraded to the primary copy when the
Consolidate job prunes the older jobs.

To do a VirtualFull  archive job like this though you need enough tape for 2x
the data otherwise your swapping tapes every 5.5 hours.
I would then use a script called at the end of the archive job to eject the
volumes and make volumestatus=Used from that Offsite pool.  Load new tapes
label and put back in Offsite for the next archive.

To do AI jobs this way and the VirtualFull archive job you need 2 tape drives
to read from one pool/tape and write to the other. It will be fast as you get
LTO speeds.  No second Full backup.

Workflow case 2  Bigger Disk in Backup Server
* Spool if you want to avoid failed jobs cluttering disk volumes, maybe skip.
* AI-Consolidated Pool Disk
* AI-Incremental Pool Disk
* Offsite Pool Tape

This would work similar, but your Fulls and Consolidations all happen on Disk.
This now means your disk needs to be 2x Full + Incremental.  As your Full or
VirtualFull consolidation will read all the data and make a second copy before
purging the old copy from the catalog.  So you won’t need the disk space long,
but you will need it.

As for Offsite I would do the archive job again, Make a VirtualFull mark it as
archive to the Offsite pool in the Tape loader.  Eject all 7-8 tapes and load
new ones.

Assuming you don’t want to be doing a new full Offsite every time, you can do
copy jobs from your pools but I have found Bareos to behave in an unintuitive
way when it comes Consolidations and offline media Copies.   You end up having
to run the consolidate job twice (once primary copy, Copy job then becomes
primary and is picked up in next consolidation, where it wants to read from
that media now)   When you really just want the Copy jobs to be purged in most
cases along with the primary copy on a Consolidate.

So I hoped you wanted just a full offsite say 1/month.

Another option if you wanted is to setup a second SD with disk off site, and
send just your incremental there as part of a Copy job.   Sneakernet the tapes
with Full less often.

In general Always Incremental with copies for off site needs some work unless
you are ok having a full snapshot every so often with an Archive job.  I really
hope Bareos improves on this in the future.

Lastly if you do use the archive job.  It’s it’s own stand alone job, As your
using WORM and cannot reuse your tapes, you probably want to crank up their
retention so you can easly restore files form any batch of tapes.  I would also
for all of these run an extra backup of your catalog and append it to the
offsite copies so you can pull catalog data in the event everything is lost.
If you are encrypting (you are right?)   be sure to keep a second copy of all
your keys,  I keep mine in OnePassword.  I also upload a dump of the catalog to
a cloud storage provider (Secure as you will).    Doing a bscan of 35 TBytes
will take a while, so please please please keep extra copies of your catlog and
keys.

Also do a lot of testing with the archive jobs.  How to turn them back into
backup jobs to make a new VirtualFull for the real job, etc.  If your Full’s
ever screw up,  you will want to do this (what I do for road warriors where
Fulls are not really possible)  to avoid the long time to do a new full from
the source. Putting an Archive job back into a backup job, running a manual
virtual full of a job will suck the files defined in the archive job in  (won’t
if it’s an archive, thus the change to update job type=B)  and rebuild a full,
then do an incremental.

I personally do a version of case 2, but I use Migrate jobs to move the
AI-Consolidated to a tape pool,  but my jobs full’s are much smaller than
yours.   I also only do an offsite archive job once a month.  Otherwise
Incremental and AI-Consolidated on Disk,  Migrate to tape pool purge
AI-Consolidated jobs quickly.  So when I consolidate it’s Tape + Disk —> Disk
—> Migrate Tape  —> Archive Tape

# copy job to long term tape
Job {
  Name = "Migrate-To-Offsite-AI-Consolidated"
  Client = myth-fd
  Type = Migrate
  Purge Migration Job = yes
  Pool = AI-Consolidated
  Level = Full
  Next Pool = Offsite
  Schedule = WeeklyCycleAfterBackup
  Allow Duplicate Jobs = no
  Priority = 4    #before catalog dump
  Messages = Standard
  Selection Type = PoolTime   # 7 days
  Spool Data = No
  Selection Pattern = "."
  RunAfterJob  = "/usr/local/bin/prune.sh”
}

The script forces the volumes to truncate/prune after I move the jobs off.

Brock Palen
1 (989) 277-6075
bro...@mlds-networks.com
www.mlds-networks.com
Websites, Linux, Hosting, Joomla, Consulting