We use bareos 18.2.5 with vmware plugin to backup our ESXi 6.5 setup.

A few days ago we literally lost the whole DC with both vmware and the
bareos client running there. Thus what I left with is a SD outside of the
DC and backups of the virtual machine in question. Because there is no way
to restore into the original VC I'm basically have the only solution but to
restore into a file. After certain amount of failures and with the help
from http://www.voleg.info/bareos-restore-vmware.html I have ended up with
kind of working solution which included installation of a new client on the
SD host and restore from bconsole with manually specified destination path,
different restore client (the backup client remained the original one), and
'python:localvmdk=yes' plugin option. The resulting content of the
destination directory have three files: one .vmdk from the full backup, and
two .vmdk+I+<bunch-of-digits> from the two following incrementals.

Basically, I have two problems, unless these are two sides of a single one:

   1. Nothing recognizes the .vmdk file as a valid disk image. Neither
   VMWare Fusion, nor VirtualBox 5, nor VirtualBox 6, nor ESXi 6.5. In the
   latter case I tried vmkfstools to create a fixed clone of the disk only to
   see a error message: "DiskLib_Check() failed for source disk The file
   specified is not a virtual disk (15)."
   2. The two incementals actually represent two days of backups. How do I
   merge them into the full? I'd be happy with the full running, but it'd be
   very helpful if I get these two days back too.

If there is a way to restore to another ESXi setup I'd like to know how
could this be done because all mentions of restoring to a vCenter I googled
out so far are saying that it is only possible for the same VC.

Any tips are appreciated. I've already lost three days fighting the
problem. It also means three days of some tasks being paused because
they're dependent on the server.