On 18/01/2021 13:04, Spadajspadaj wrote:
On 18/01/2021 11:28, Brock Palen wrote:
Disclaimer I have not used s3 with bareos but done many cloud calculations.

Few things to think about using cloud.
Are you running your SD in the cloud?
Are your backup clients in the cloud?
If not what’s your bandwidth? It will impact your backup and restore times significantly if you have modest WAN capacity for local  clients servers.

No, no. I was thinking about keeping an extra copy "off-site". I'm mostly cloud-free at the moment and I do not wish to change it significantly. I was thinking whether S3 could be an option for extending my home backup setup.

Of course I understand the impact of bandwidth on the backup/restore times. :-)

OK. I recalculated it using the AWS calculator and it turnes out that even with glacier tier I can live with costs for storing the data (some 16$ per month for 4TB), but in case of disaster I'd have to pay something like 180$ for transfer. That's definitely not worth it. I'd rather buy another disk and keep it in rotation.

It turns out it's not very useful for me after all.