There hasn't been any motion on the bug report, so I came up with a
workaround (this is definitely not a fix). The bug isn't hit if you have
the LC_MESSAGES environment variable set. This is maybe why it worked for
you with sudo but not launchctl, Brock. To do this with launchctl, set the
environment variable in /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.bareos.bareos-fd.plist.

<key>EnvironmentVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>LC_MESSAGES</key>
<string>C</string>
</dict>

Full example file attached.

Then unload, reload, and start the service.

sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.bareos.bareos-fd.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.bareos.bareos-fd.plist
sudo launchctl start com.bareos.bareos-fd

I also found that bareos-fd was looking for a wrong Working Directory even
though it is set correctly in the plist (I tested this to be sure). This is
what I got in /var/run/bareos-fd.log:

bareos-fd: ERROR TERMINATION at lib/util.cc:1072
Working Directory: "/usr/local/var/lib/bareos" not found. Cannot continue.

I'm not sure if this is another bug, but as a workaround I created that
directory. bareos-fd does want to use that directory, so it's best as a
symlink to the normal location.

% sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/var/lib
% sudo ln -s /usr/local/bareos/var/lib/bareos /usr/local/var/lib/bareos

Josh