I have wondered this also. As stated by OP the docs lead to this idea but I get the same behavior as OP

Sent from my iPhone
Brock Palen

On Nov 8, 2023, at 10:05 AM, 'christian vieser' via bareos-users <bareos-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi,
according to the documentation about data spooling it should be possible to run several jobs in parallel, one writing directly to the tape drive while another job is filling the spooling area, despooling when the first job releases the drive.
When I set Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1 in the device configuration, the spooling job reserves the tape drive and the direct jobs are waiting for the drive, instead writing to it. When I set Maximum Concurrent Job greater than 1, the direct jobs write intermixed to the tape. That's not how it's intended.

Are there any settings to achieve a time optimized use of tape drives with a mix of direct and spooling jobs? I couldn't elaborate this. In my opinion the spooling job shouldn't claim and block the tape drive before spooling ended.

Thank you for any input.