The thing about Windows is it is A) fragile, and b) uses (largely) a monolithic binary configuration database (registry). Both of these mean you can't treat it like you would a Linux host, for example. In enterprise shops, configuration of Windows machines is done with a combination of Group Policy Objects (GPOs) stored in the AD, and external application deployment and configuration, with something like SCCM (we use PDQ).

If a system breaks, you install the OS (or clone from a known good source), and redeploy configuration and apps. The installation or cloning can be automated as well, where a tech just needs to initialize it, in person or remotely using various tools, and then can walk away. Nobody wants to sit around watching the OS install on a dozen or 100 desktops at refresh time. Centralized configuration means a more homogeneous desktop deployment where you always know what to expect when you sit down at a machine to work on it.

Even if you are using snapshots of VMs, you need to make sure the snapshots are healthy. If you have an "old" machine that you keep taking snapshots of, due to system fragility, that snapshot becomes less and less reliable. You could end up with a garbage-in-garbage-out scenario. If you are using a VDI solution, you have more options, as it separates the system layer from the user layer.

As for user files, in the department I manage (Computer Science at a state university), our users are long-conditioned to save files on the file server and not the desktop. We don't backup desktop files, but we do backup the file server (using bareos, of course). I have a few colleagues elsewhere on campus that do backup files from desktops for users, but I don't and I make sure my users know that.

That's what works for me, and what I preach to future IT professionals that come through our department. And I'm always on the lookout to do all of this better and more efficiently.

Cheers!

Seth