Hi-I play 997 in d-minor which works quite well. You
do need 14 frets though. I play 996 in e-minor. I
think most people just assume that it won't work in
e-minor without even trying it. E-minor is a great key
for the Baroque-lute. I use a version by Michihiko
Okazawa that is very well done. I have tried other
versions in different keys and e-minor works the best
for me.
Sterling Price

http://www.utorpheus.com/misc/pagine_musica/sds004.pdf).