My question is, who is "overrating" the lute?? Are we still not at about
0.00001% of the population who knows or cares what it is?

Perhaps the small grain of truth that he is getting at: when a modern continuo
player on theorbo has to make themselves heard, there is by necessity a greater
emphasis on banging out volume (which is destructive to tone) rather than the
sensitivity of playing that makes the solo literature so special.

At the Baroque Performance Institute in Oberlin last summer, the lute group
accompanied 2 violinists in their violin class. The violinists were very
excited to be playing with our mixed continuo group, but the violin teacher
simply said "Please, don't encourage them". That became our motto for the rest
of the week (yes, I know it is derivative of a famous Beecham quote).

DS