Rob
Yes, indeed, I doubt whether there is a great deal of difference between 9 ribs and 11 ribs. Burwell, mentioned that 7 ribs, 9 ribs, or 11 ribs were best, I suppose, writing about D minor tuning. I wonder whether 7 ribs did ever exist? Has any one tried to make one? Stephen did say he could make me a 9 ribbed Warwick, but as I wanted an 11/10c, I wondered whether the 11 ribs would not be a fair balance between the multi-ribbed lutes, often used as 10c lutes in "Vieil ton " and the Bologna lutes used for "Nouveau ton". You see, I have taken on board your "hypothesis".

As I think i told you, I bought Liz Kenny's Lawes songs, in which I believe she plays on a large multi-ribbed lute with a dark sound http://tinyurl.com/ypnlbk, and it is superb for the sombre music of Cuthbert Hely, in the Vieil Ton. Miguel Serdoura, one of my neighbours here, tells me he heard her concert at Bâle, "THE JACOBEAN LUTE - personalities from the mysterious Cuthbert Hely to the murderous Jacques Gaultier and Shakespeare’s in-house composer, Robert Johnson. Devised for the Basel Lute series, February 2007." He tells me it was superb, and I believe she used this multi-ribbed lute for that? Somebody told me I was mistaken, and in fact she was playing a Warwick. I honestly doubt it, because of the dark sound (on the CD), but sometimes, it can be the acoustics. Does anyone know?

Perhaps later I will therefore consider a 10c Rauwolf (I can't think that I will swap very frequently between 10/11c), so I am keeping the 10c Rauwolf as a future option. I think it would be excellent for late
Renaissance, early Transitional Baroque.

However, for now I am going to concentrate on the 11c qualities of the Warwick. Well, I should say in the near future, as Stephen will begin at the end of January.

I am pleased to read that your 69 cm Maler is strung entirely in gut. that is certainly audible in the recording, and what a clear but warm sound with exceptional depth to it. Even on my computer with special outboard speaker this is audible. The new photos and sound have now materialized (Lewis Carrol-like). I imagine this was well worth the wait for you.

Incidentally, Plum necks are superbly organic. I would have liked one, having tried a Frei with such a neck by Stephen, but I had a few doubts about my ability to change frets without marking it. For all other considerations, Plum is definitely superior, as Burwell rightly says.

Best regards
Anthony