"Stephen Arndt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> In French baroque music
> are two successive 1/8 notes always played like a dotted 1/8 note and a 1/16
> note, or perhaps as the 1/4 note and an 1/8 note of a triplet?

More the triplet way, IMO. Reusner says so in the prefaces to his
editions (rückend / springend = moving over, jumping). Half a century
later, Quantz still says so but warns not to turn it into dotted rhythm
(Traversiere, XI.12).
Both authors put it in a general way. I read somewhere that it only
applies to courantes (can't remeber where exactly that was), but as I
said, both Reusner and Quantz speak in general, not regarding particular
dances.
Quantz adds that quavers following dotted crotchets (viz. semiquavers
following dotted quavers) must be sharpened in courantes (Traversiere,
XVII.vii.58). That's what you can already see written out at some places
in Jacques Bittner's edition (Nürnberg 1682).

> If so, why is
> a dotted eighth note followed by a 1/16 note sometimes written?

As I said, I try to take notes inegales the triplet way, not dotted. So
dotted rhythm is different.

--
Mathias