After I quoted parts of my review of "Fundamenta der Lauten-Musique und Zugleich der Composition" someone asked if the shortcomings of the English fascicle were such that I'd recommend against buying it.

The answer is a qualified no. It's a valuable book, offered for a mere 15 Euros, and anyone who wants to play continuo in d minor should have it. And as long as Mathias was being, as he put it, "shameless," he might have offered a few words about how to order it from the Deutsche Lautengesellschaft. I just took a quick look at its web site, and it wasn't obvious.

The cross-referencing glitches and the occasional translation awkwardness are annoyances, but will not prevent a native English speaker from figuring out what's going on. But for someone whose English skills are not good, it may be another story. So I wouldn't recommend Fundamenta for George W. Bush.