Dear Jorge,

Many thanks for the quotation from Gaultier's Preface, which tells us
how we should interpret the comma in baroque lute music. I would like to
add to what he has to say, and hopefully clarify things.

As I understand it, the comma is an appoggiatura. As Stephen Arndt says,
if the ornamented note is short, an appoggiatura is all you have time
for.

__c,__ = __d_c__ or __e_c__
______   _______    _______
______   _______    _______
______   _______    _______
______   _______    _______

depending on the key you are in. To that extent, it is reminiscent of
Thomas Robinson's "little touch or jerk" for ornamenting quick notes.

The word appoggiatura - which means leaning - gives us a clue as to its
interpretation. We need to lean on the appoggiatura, maybe giving it a
little more time than the following note, thus emphasising the
dissonance it creates.

Ed Durbrow asked why the two notes should not be written as two equal
notes. If they were written that way, we would play them equally. By
writing the two notes as one note with an appoggiatura, we are invited
to give more importance, more weight, more time, to the dissonant note
than to its resolution. The appoggiatura must be played on the beat, not
before the beat, so the resolution comes in a weaker position after the
beat. The fact that the appoggiatura comes on the beat, helps to give it
greater prominence than its resolution.

If there is enough time, it is appropriate to add a trill to the
appoggiatura. The number of turns is dictated by the length of time
available and the musical context - slower trills for slower-moving
music.

I think it is a mistake to think of baroque trills as starting on the
upper note, even though, in practice, they appear to do so. Instead, I
think it is helpful to think of baroque trills consisting of three
elements:

1) The appoggiatura, which is one step higher than the written note,
which creates a dissonance, and, as Markus Lutz points out, may last at
least as long as the rest of the ornament. For c, (i.e. c with a comma)
play

__d_________________c_
______________________
______________________
______________________
______________________
______________________

2) The trill, which starts on the written note, and can be extended as
far as good taste will allow, e.g.

__d________c_d_c_d_c__
______________________
______________________
______________________
______________________
______________________

3) The termination, which, if present, is either an anticipation of the
final note after the trill, or a little turn before it. So _c,_|_a_
could be played with an anticipation (i.e. the _a_ at the end of the bar
anticipating the _a_ at the start of the next bar):

__d________c_d_c_d_c____a___a_
__________________________|___
__________________________|___
__________________________|___
__________________________|___
__________________________|___

or with a two-note termination such as the _a_c_ tacked on the trill at
the end of the 1st bar:

__d________c_d_c_d_c_a_c____a_
__________________________|___
__________________________|___
__________________________|___
__________________________|___
__________________________|___

Terminations add an extra level of elaboration, and tend to come with
final cadences at ends of sections. They would normally be notated, but
a player should feel free to add a suitable termination, if he deems it
appropriate.

To summarise, the appoggiatura is essential, the trill is desirable if
time allows, and the termination is only for extra-special cadences.

I am very much looking forward to your article in the JLSA, where we can
compare what different 17th-century players had to say about it all.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.