I'm not sure what you're trying to say.  I didn't mention meantone.

On Dec 13, 2009, at 9:14 AM, Roman Turovsky wrote:

So what?
Once you put your fingers on the strings in MT: the comma is no longer what it is supposed to be. The fact is that MT sounds like clowning, from chord-character overemphasis.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "howard posner" <howardpos...@ca.rr.com>
To: "BAROQUE-LUTE Lutelist" <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:02 PM
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: D-minor tuning and ET?

OK, gang: if you're using "near equal temperament" or "mostly equal temperament" or "equal temperament but a flat fourth fret" or "equal temperament with flat A strings," what you're using is "unequal temperament."

I suppose the process many of us actually use is backward from the historical one: we start with ET and "temper" it. The result is no more "equal temperament" than fifth-comma meantone is "Pythagoran" or "just."