I think Christopher makes some interesting points.  I'll comment below.

   ----- Original Message -----
   From: "Christopher Wilke" <[1]chriswi...@yahoo.com>
   To: "Martyn Hodgson" <[2]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>; "Baroque lute
   Dmth" <[3]baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Edward Martin"
   <[4]e...@gamutstrings.com>
   Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:42 AM
   Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: PS to: Jacques de Saint-Luc

   > Ed,
   >
   > --- On Wed, 3/23/11, Edward Martin <[5]e...@gamutstrings.com> wrote:
   >
   >> Dufaut and Mouton both played in 'Austria' and were far
   >> greater composers
   >> and, probably, players. I suspect that J Gallot in his
   >> 'long journey abroad'
   >> (see the intro to the Gallot edition) also visited Vienna.
   >> As far as I know
   >> St Luc caused a stir at a wedding in Berlin in 1700, and
   >> there are one or
   >> two other references, but nothing to suggest he was as
   >> highly-respected as
   >> any of these three.
   >>

   > St. Luc was very highly regarded and presumably influential.  Baron
   doesn't have much good to say about Franco composers with the singular
   exception of St. Luc.  In fact, he specifically denigrates the "other
   three" you mention.  In 'Study of the Lute' of 1727, Baron says,

   > "In regard to the lute, the French have not accomplished much in
   particular... Mouton and Dufaut followed their own genius and neglected
   the cantabile element.  Gallot gave his pieces such strange names that
   one must ponder hard how they connect with the music..."

   > "Saint-Luc [before which translator Douglas Alton Smith has
   editorially inserted the first name 'Jacques de' in brackets] is one of
   the best, for he always allows something lyrical to flow into his
   pieces..."

   <<AJN>>And of course a composer in those days would alter the style of
   his music to suit the tastes of his Viennese patrons, in this case
   Eugene of Savoy, and possibly Count Lobkowitz.  Jacques (b. 1616) was a
   lutenist since we have his portrait with lute in hand.

   > Douglas Alton Smith includes a quote from "Herr von Besser" about the
   wedding in 1700 in a footnote:

   <<AJN>> The footnote is Baron's.

   > "And because it just then happened that the splendid French theorbist
   and lutenist Monsieur de St. Luc was passing through Berlin on his way
   to Vienna, he was detained here until the nuptials to increase the
   forces of the sinfonie with the well-known artists in our service -
   Ricks, Attilio, Volumnier and others."

   <<AJN>>Johann  von Besser was a poet and chronicler at the Berlin
   court.  In his published diary of the wedding activities, he describes
   the luncheon in the Oranien-Saal where Saint-Luc created such a
   sensation in playing  "stille Musik" on his theorbo, lute and guitar.
   He describes him as "der Franzoesische grosse Kuenstler de St. Luc,"
   which strikes me as meaning there is just one such person, and that he
   enjoyed some fame.  He was under way from France to Vienna at the
   time.  He didn't travel from Vienna to Berlin, as some claim.

   > Saint-Luc obviously had quite the reputation in Germanic lands.  No
   doubt this is due to his emphasis on an easily identifiable primary
   melodic line in lieu of the brise texture of his predecessors.  Was he
   so highly regarded among the Germans simply because they didn't really
   understand what the other French guys were about?  Or is he a neglected
   master waiting for a modern interpreter to really "get" him?  I haven't
   played much of his music but personally, I'm not ready to jump to any
   conclusions about his skills as a composer or how they compare to the
   other Franco lute composers.

   <<AJN>> I think it may be a little bit too early to discard Philippe
   Vendrix's thoughts on the Saint Luc identification problems.  Without
   doubt he has given the matter some considerable thought, since he is
   now preparing a complete edition of the some 200 works by Saint-Luc
   works for the Corpus des luthistes franc,ais.

   <<AJN>> Part, if not most of the problems here, must be laid to the
   feet of two authors of dictionary articles on the Saint-Luc family.  In
   MGG (1963 issue) and New Grove (1970 edition) Jacques is mentioned, but
   all the Saint-Luc works are attributed to one Laurent Jacques Alexandre
   de Saint-Luc.  That's where all these attributions on CDs and in
   editions come from. I was even drawn into this fiction for my "Sources
   of Lute Music" article in New Grove.  That's not one person, that's
   THREE people.  Only one is known to have been a musician, Jacques (b.
   1616, d. ca. 1708).  He had two sons, Laurent (b. 1669) AND
   Jacques-Alexandre (b. 1663), but neither are known to have been
   musicians.  And nowhere have I ever seen a lute piece attributed to
   either of them.  And surely if they had been professional players,
   there would be records at the courts where they were employed.  For
   details, I guess we'll have to wait for Philippe's edition.

   --ajn