Dear Martyn

  > Why should an instrument with a longer string length work 'better' with
  > gut? MH

Until, Mimmo began making loaded Venices, it seems that most lutenists using a
Charles Mouton style lute (de Troy), say 66,5cm, have tended to use wire-wound
basses, or at best gimped basses. No doubt, if a high diapason were chosen, say
440Hz or more, as you seem to suggest, pure gut basses might be acceptable.

However, would this work with the music?

I am certainly not arguing against the fairly widely held view that French
instruments were around 67cm.
however, these were frequently vintage instruments at the time, and this may
have given them better sustain than a modern 67cm lute might have. Loaded
strings certainly work with a 67cm lute at 415Hz, and do give better sustain
than pure gut basses.

I was just suggesting that as vintage lutes are not widely available, one might
attempt

to achieve more sustain, perhaps by using a larger table than at the time, or a
longer string length (say 70, but not advocating 76, as AB was using in his
recording).

Now I am not sure why a 70cm lute might give the impression of greater sustain
than a 67cm lute.
However, this is my impression when comparing two such lutes made by Martin
Haycock  and two made by Stephen Gottlieb (even though, as you say, the 67cm
lutes were at a higher diapason).
Perhaps it is not due to the string length at all, but to the slightly larger
table on the 70 cm lutes.
Stephen Gottlieb actually advised me to go for the longer diapason lute, and I
have not regretted it.
Perhaps a lower diapason just gives a psychoacoustic impression of a larger
sound

and so greater sustain.
Perhaps, I have just not heard the ideal 67cm lute.

Other solutions for obtaining pseudo-historic instruments might be to load the
tables with salts, or to liberally apply oxidized linseed oil (as I believe you
once mentionned) so as to achieve very hard tables.

Whatever, the reality of my impressions, I am not at all suggesting that we
should join Bailes, in using 76cm instruments, but rather agreeing with AB that
excellent sustain (as well as clarity) might be an important factor for the
best

instrument for the repertoire. Indeed Jakob Lindberg's Rauwolf does manifest
these qualities, and that lute has around a 69cm string length, I believe (so
within the diapason you mention), but it does also have quite a large table.

Perhaps using a slight increase in string length (70cm) or a slightly larger
table than might be judged HIP (while using loaded strings) could bring us
closer to the French sound ideal.

I do realize that a much longer string length could make certain pieces much
more difficult to play (depending on hand size) as well as go against the
elegant aesthetic economy implied in the music itself.

Although, perhaps we should avoid being too rigid in what we consider as an
acceptable instrument for French music: the Rhetorique des Dieux drawings do
not

show Bologna style lutes, for example; and indeed I seem to remember that Jakob
Lindberg did play Denis Gaultier pieces at a London lute meeting on his Rauwolf
(rather than say, pieces from Mouton, that we tend to associate with a smaller
tabled lute).

However, I wonder whether we should have been shocked if he had played such
pieces and they had worked well, simply because the lute is very different from
the one depicted in the de Troy painting? Can we be sure that Mouton would have
been shocked to have been observed playing such a lute?

I am just throwing up questions that have remained in my mind ever since I
chose

the Warwick over the Rauwolf, not coming to any conclusion. I was told by some
experienced baroque performers
that a larger bowled lute (Rauwolf, B Burkholzer, etc) would have given a
greater depth of sound than the more immediate Warwick, but by others that the
Bologna shape and the resulting immediacy was simply right for French music.
I have to say that in spite of lingering doubts, the Warwick well strung with
loaded basses does not lack depth, yet it is also extremely well balanced. I do
tend to associate this type of sound with French Baroque music, but then again
..

Regards
Anthony

   Any advantage gained by the strings being longer is precisely offset by
   having to tune the whole instrument lower. If we follow the general
   rule that the stress on the highest string is the same whatever lute
   you are using (ie near the breaking stress) then the stress on the
   basses of the large and the smaller lute will be exactly the same and
   the lutes will exhibit the same degree of dullness/brightness in the
   bass.

   Of course, if one ignores the early sources and tunes a small lute at
   the same nominal pitch as a large lute (you suggest A415(?)) then
   naturally the small lute will sound duller.

   Also see my correspondance with Bailes in recent issues of Lute News on
   the sizes of French lutes c.1670: the evidence (iconography, early
   measurements - especially the Talbot MS, extant instruments)
   indicates that a string length around 68cm (say +/- 2cm) was what these
   particular Old Ones expected. Although Bailes used a 1722 Wenger
   instrument (possibly originally a gallichon - the instruments for which
   Wenger was best known) recently converted to an 11 course lute with a
   string length around 76cm on a CD of French lute music from around
   1670,  he conceded that 'As Martyn Hodgson quite rightly points out in
   his letter in the last issue of Lute News (No 94), a lute the size of
   the Wenger should not find acceptance as being ideal for the
   performance of 17th century French lute music'.

   regards

   Martyn