Andreas,

I am pleased you like the sound. I really like the 'roundness' or 'camber' of
the fretboard. It makes a big difference for the left hand. One of the best
things about this lute is the shape and thickness of the neck. The back of the
neck is flat at the first fret position, and curved at the high frets, with a
gentle change as it goes up the neck. Difficult to put into words. But it is
shaped beautifully. So, both sides of the neck and fingerboard are shaped. I am
not sure if this can now be done with your lute.

The Burkholzer shape is different to the Hoffman shape, so that will have an
effect on the sound. And we decided on rosewood with ebony spacers for the
bowl.

I tuned to A = 392 as that is my favourite pitch for gut strings on baroque
lutes. The string length is 705mm. All these things make a difference to the
sound. I like the Burkholzer shape - it is easy to hold, and the lute is
surprisingly light.

You need to talk to a luthier...

Cheers,

Rob MacKillop