On Nov 30, 2011, at 12:35 AM, William Samson wrote:

> I sometimes wonder why I haven't come across much in the way of
>   contemporary agonisings about pitch standards and compatibility of
>   lutes with their wide range of scale lengths for a given nominal
>   pitch.  Presumably this would have been a problem for the old guys
>   too?  Or have I missed something?

For most players, pitch was a given.  If you lived in London in 1720 and the
local pitch was A=410, you tuned your lute to A=410 or you couldn't play with
other instrumentalists else, which would make you useless as a musician.

We sometimes forget that solo music was a small part of what lute players did.