On Dec 2, 2011, at 7:58 AM, Martyn Hodgson wrote:

>   As David Hill points out (have you bothered
>   to read his paper?) the voice generally expected when the songs were
>   composed was soprano/tenor.  As he says, the male alto, to take David
>   Van Oijan's personal preference, was certainly around but in England
>   "was not deployed as a solo voice outside of a cathedral, collegiate or
>   courtly chapel......."

You've been bandying about two issues here, and I think you've confused them.
First, is it anachronistic to transpose lute songs (and the subsidiary question
about whether David van Ooijen is some kind of freak because he transposes
tablature accompaniments without writing out the transposition)?  Second, is it
anachronistic, in a renaissance-faire sort of way, for male altos to sing lute
songs?  Your answer yes to both questions, and indeed cite the second answer as
dispositive of the first question.

I see several fundamental flaws in your conclusion.

First, male altos' range considerations are no different from those of female
altos or baritones or basses.  So male altos are relevant to the question of
transposing lute songs only in that they would add numbers to the class of
singers who would need to transpose a song published in the soprano/tenor
range, which would indicate that more than half the available singers might
need to transpose at least some of the songs if they wanted to sing the top
line.  The class of transposers might actually have been considerably more than
half:  the songs were written for home use, largely by amateur singers, which
might mean that a larger percentage of the singers would have had lower voices
-- amateurs tend to sing lower because they tend to use the same register
singing as they do speaking, but let's put that aside for now.  The point is
that male alto or no male alto, many singers would have needed to transpose
their favorite lute song.

Second, the idea that male altos weren't "deployed as a solo voice outside of a
cathedral, collegiate or courtly chapel" is irrelevant to the question of
whether they sang lute songs.  Again, these songs were published so that
amateurs could sing them in their homes.  The singers were not "deployed."
They did what they did.  Male altos sang in English choirs.  Do you think they
were completely silent when they walked out of the  church?  NEVER sang when
they got home?  If you don't think that, what do you suppose a male alto would
have sung at home in 1608, particularly if he had a lute in E?  Do you think no
male alto EVER sang a lute song that way?  (Note to Martyn: before answering,
look up "rhetorical question")

Third, your whole paradigm is inapplicable, because it assumes that there is
some sort of verifiable performance practice for lute songs.  There can be
performance practice only where there is performance.  We're not talking about
the deployment of theorbos in Venetian polychoral motets in 1603 or
countertenors in Handel's operas in 1729, where you can expect that there was a
regular practice.  Lute songs weren't written to be performed.  We're talking
about what people did in their homes, adapting the songs to their own
circumstances.

Fourth, I note that during this thread you've asked David what "evidence" he
had that lutenists historically might have transposed tablature, and what
"evidence" he had that male altos sang lute songs.  Asking that question is
sometimes an exercise in critical thinking and intellectual rigor, and
sometimes an exercise in silliness.  If you demand evidence in a situation
where there's no reason to expect it, you're like the anti-Stratfordians who
cite, as evidence that William Shakespeare could not have written Shakespeare's
plays, the "fact" that he owned no books, which they infer from the absence of
evidence that he owned any.  They could, on the same evidence, infer that he
owned no shoes.

Let's assume there's no evidence for sight-transposition of tablature or male
altos singing lute songs.  So what?

If I comb payroll records, or contemporary accounts, or written programs or
playbills, and find lots of details about singers in London in 1729 but no
evidence of countertenors, I can rationally infer that there were none, because
I'd expect to find evidence if there were.

But I can't rationally expect to find much evidence of transposition on sight,
because by definition it doesn't leave written evidence.  I can't comb payroll
records or playbills to find out whether countertenors sang lute songs in their
homes, and it's sheer luck if there's a contemporary account that bears on the
subject.  The absence of evidence is meaningless.  Before you ask whether
there's evidence, you need to think about whether it's a relevant question or
just a silly one.

A final thought, then I need to get back to earning a living: If David van
Ooijen can transpose tablature, do you think Dowland couldn't?