On Jan 7, 2012, at 2:09 AM, Martyn Hodgson wrote:

>   Incorrect again Howard - he does not say those who use tastini are
>   'prominent' players as you do (from where do you get this),  but that
>   they are foolish.

You must have missed Jean-Marie's post yesterday, quoting Galilei's Fronimo:

> "Eumatius [the student]: ... Also, how does it happen that you do not use
> frets that are spaced by unusual inequality of intervals, and some other
> little frets that take away the sharpness from the major third and tenth, as
> I have seen used by some universally known, skillful men, from whom I
> understand that both are exceedingly necessary and useful.

Fronimo, the teacher, does not dispute that players who use tastini are skilled
and "universally known,"  but he does say that their followers are foolish:

> Fronimo : ... Now I come to the matter of tastini [little frets], which
> lately some people seek to introduce in order to remove some of their
> sharpness from the thirds and major tenths (as they try to persuade those who
> are more foolish than they).

I've made the point before here (probably before Martyn's time on the list)
that in describing them as "universally known" and skilled, Galilei is ceding
an unusually large share of the field to them, something he would not have done
unless the practice he describes was widespread.