Dear All,

   Does anybody on this list have any experience with 12c lutes? I am
   considering getting one if I can get the funds together and I would be
   grateful for any counsel drawn from actual experience. I have never
   even laid finger to fret on one of these lutes before, so it is a bit
   of a leap of faith. That said, there is clearly so much music that
   could be played in either "vieux ton" or "nouveau ton" on this lute,
   and I think it is the ultimate historical continuo beast for so much
   17c repertoire, in particular English music (Purcell, Lawes, etc.)

   Also: string lengths. I know they can be very small (around 55cm) to
   very big (perhaps 76cm or so). Any suggestions? I am kind of torn
   between having perhaps a smaller solo instrument and a larger one that
   I could use for accompaniment.

   Any thoughts?

   Best wishes,

   Benjamin