If only the 4th course is causing a problem then I would certainly suspect the distance between the two strings as 3.7 is very close (4.5 would be a safer option). You could have new holes drilled by a luthier. Obviously the thickness of the strings and tensions are other factors to take into account, so if you are using gut or nylgut then maybe you could try PVF strings which will be thinner because they have a higher density. You could also experiment with increased tension (but this will mean a slightly thicker string so probably self-defeating!).

Best,
Matthew