In the video, Sven tells the kid that it is a lute built in 1727.

Mathias

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im Auftrag
von Luca Manassero
Gesendet: Montag, 12. Februar 2018 19:07
An: baroque-lute
Betreff: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Johann Christian Hoffman n, 14 course swan-neck lute
in Leipzing

   Dear common wisdom,
   a couple of years ago I stumbled upon the Leipzig Museum website,
   planned to visit their Hoffman exhibition (but had to pass on it,
   unfortunately) - then one day realized that the pictured Hoffmann
   swan-neck lute they recently acquired (2012, says the YouTube video)
   mounts 14 courses: 8 fretted and 6 at the second pegbox (2x1, 6x2,
   6x2).
   See [1]http://mfm.uni-leipzig.de/dt/Forschung/hoffmannn.php: it's the
   first instrument pictured under Johann Christian Hoffmann' section on
   the page.
   It's a really strange instrument with an incredibly deep body (it must
   be uneasy to hold, or at least it looks so).
   I'm sure the book about Hoffmann they sell
   ([2]http://www.hofmeister-musikverlag.com/martin-und-johann-christian-h
   offmann.html) has all the measures about that instrument, but that book
   is really kind of expensive. The Museum's website doesn't talk about
   string length and date on this lute (I do read German and couldn't find
   the infos anywhere on the website)
   The YouTube video on the same page shows a German lutenist (Sven
   Schwannberger, I think) playing a swan-neck lute, which is of course
   not the original Hoffmann lute, as it shows 13 courses, as usual.
   Anybody out there who has more details about it?
   Thanks a lot,
   Luca