This is carved and pierced, not fretsawn.

Best,

Matthew

On 23/02/2018 13:02, Luca Manassero wrote:
    Dear list members,
          months ago looking on the French list of instruments for sale I
    noticed a baroque lute built in 1980 by Martin Bowers and showing a
    very peculiar artwork on the back of the pegbox (see
    here: [1]https://www.dropbox.com/s/72nsw585lk9ov1x/13-courseneck.jpg?dl
    =0)
    (By the way, as far as I know the lute is still for sale)
    I thought it came from the lutemaker, but then a few days ago I noticed
    exactly the same artwork on a different lute, a picture I think I saw
    on Facebook somewhere.
    I'm really curious: is it an original "fretsawn" which has been copied
    or does it come from some late restauration work (as it happened to the
    Edlinger lutes in South Dakota)?
    All the best,
    Luca