Von: lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu
[mailto:lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu] Im Auftrag von Christopher Wilke
Gesendet: Samstag, 03. August 2019 22:18
An: Fischer BE (Aon) <fischer...@aon.at>; 'Hermann Kelber'
<bavaria1...@gmail.com>; baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu; l...@cs.dartmouth.edu
Betreff: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: thumb in or out???

   Well, the performer may do as he likes in regard to technique and
   choice of instrument and its setup. No matter how well researched, our
   relationship with the performance of music from the past will always be
   partially speculative. At any rate, we're all artists working in the
   21st century and I believe the degree to which the performer chooses to
   engage with what is understood about performance practice of the past
   is just another facet of that person's total aesthetic presentation. As
   for Thomas, he's clearly very talented and I can enjoy his playing.

   Having said that, the hugely arbitrary way in which HIPness is used as
   a critical litmus test for career success annoys me to no end. Some
   performers are granted favored status and can do no wrong. Meanwhile,
   other equally fantastic players are lambasted and marginalized for
   unpopular choices that are perfectly justifiable - sometimes even
   mandated - in period sources. To put it another way: the same handful
   of folks keep getting all the gigs because people who know better keep
   hiring them. That's not cool. I think there's room for a variety of
   approaches, but that's not what we get.

   Chris
   [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

   On Saturday, August 3, 2019, 2:22 PM, Fischer BE (Aon)