Dear lute friends,

   As you most probably know, the “Burwell Lute Tutor” is a manuscript
   tutor for the baroque lute. The manuscript is Miss Mary Burwell’s (born
   1654) copy of a method written by an Englishman (the name Mr. John
   Rogers has been suggested) who claims was himself a pupil of the French
   Ennemond Gaultier. The teacher corrected Miss Burwell’s copy of the
   text and filled in the music examples. Both the ”Burwell Lute Tutor”
   and ”The Lute Made Easie” (by Thomas Mace, London, 1676) are two very
   authentic and surviving sources of its time teaching in great detail
   from A to Z how to play the baroque lute.
   For teaching practice, the manuscript contains examples of French-style
   lute pieces, mainly fragments and sometimes individual bars only. The
   music examples are chaotic, with both teacher and pupil contributing to
   mistakes Some of the pieces are known, and concordances exist in other
   lute manuscripts, other pieces are new and unique.

   Over the last months or so I tried playing nearly all pieces after I
   identified (if possible), corrected and completed majority of the
   pieces from the Burwell Lute Tutor.

   Please find here the link to my compilation of baroque lute pieces from
   the “Burwell Lute Tutor”:
   [1]http://www.apeptico.com/index-burwell_lute_tutor

   Please stay healthy and resist Corona!

   Ernst Bernhard ("viennalute") from Vienna.