Bob MacCallum wrote:
> Great, many thanks for the tips (works perfectly now) and the warning about
> 2.5 development in this area.
>
> One array takes about 5 seconds to hash and a couple of hundred MB RAM.  (I
> have now implemented it as a Hashtable of HashSet<Integer> because one
> probeset might be on two arrays.)
>
> Is there any possibility that Affy array designs could have their
> reporters/features in the database?  I'm sorry I don't understand Affy files
> enough to know why this can't be done in BASE as it stands.  I guess they just
> don't fit into ArrayDesignBlocks?  This may have been discussed to death
> elsewhere sorry.

This was discussed in the original plan for BASE 2.0 but was dropped for
two reasons:

  * The plan was to store probe-level data and we realized that this may
just be too much to put into the database

  * Nobody is ever going to want anything else than the CEL and CDF files.

I guess you proved us wrong on the second one...  Maybe you can create a
separate database to hold the information. A single table containing
probesetId and array design ID should be enough. Hmmm... this table
doesn't have to be limited to Affymetrix arrays, though it might be
difficult to keep it synchronized with the BASE database.

/Nicklas