Interesting stuff - we will try to give the beta a try ASAP.

What's the general strategy behind the provision of storage of array designs
and data as files rather than in the db?  Some reasons I could think of:

Is it to handle arbitrary future array technologies without tying up core
developer time?

Is it to handle future array designs with too many features for mysql/postgres
to handle?

cheers,
Bob.

Nicklas Nordborg writes:
 > We are happy to announce the release of BASE 2.5 beta. Since we normally
 > don't release beta versions there are a few things that you need to be
 > aware of.
 >
 > * The beta should be used for testing only. Don't install it on
 >    production servers.
 >
 > * Make a backup of the BASE database before installing the beta unless
 >    you are willing to risk data loss and/or corruption.
 >
 > * We can't guarantee that it will be possible to upgrade the beta
 >    version to the final 2.5 version.
 >
 > You can download this release from the usual download location
 > http://base.thep.lu.se/wiki/DownloadPage.
 >
 > The reason that we are releasing a beta is that the 2.5 version contains
 > many new features that affects central parts of BASE. By releasing a
 > beta version we hope to get help with finding remaining bugs and issues
 > related to the new features. The new features also affect plug-in
 > developers and other developers programming against the BASE API. We
 > also want to give those developers a chance to extend and modify their
 > code to use the new features before the final 2.5 version is released.
 > We don't expect any major changes to the API between the beta and the
 > final release, unless a serious bug or design flaw is discovered.
 >
 > Here is a list of the most important features:
 >
 > * Made it possible to use files for storing raw data and array designs
 >    instead of importing it to the database. Previously this support was
 >    limited to the Affymetrix platform. Developers that are working on
 >    code that handles raw data and/or array designs should absolutely
 >    check the documentation to see what has changed. Most changes are
 >    backwards compatible, but there are some issues that may affect old
 >    code. Also note that in order to do anything with the data in the
 >    files special plug-ins are needed. So far, the only existing plug-ins
 >    are the RMAExpress and Plier plug-ins for the Affymetrix platform.
 >    Data from other platforms must still be imported into the database if
 >    you want to analyse it. For more info, see:
 >
 >    - http://base.thep.lu.se/ticket/807
 >    - http://base.thep.lu.se/ticket/721
 >

 > * Added a few web services to the core BASE distribution. The web
 >    services are not compatible with the old prototype code in the
 >    webservices branch. For more info, see:
 >
 >    - http://base.thep.lu.se/ticket/809
 >    - http://base.thep.lu.se/ticket/492
 >

 > * Automatic detection and installation of plug-ins is now supported.
 >    Plug-in installatation has been made easier. Now you can just drop the
 >    plug-in JAR file in a dedicated plug-in directory on the server. Then,
 >    use the auto-installation wizard to let BASE detect and install the
 >    plug-in(s). For this to work, the plug-in developer must have made
 >    certain preparations in the JAR file. For more info, see:
 >
 >    -
 > http://base.thep.lu.se/chrome/site/trunk/html/developerdoc/plugin_developer/plugin_developer.organize.html
 >    - http://base.thep.lu.se/ticket/364

> [...]

Bob MacCallum | VectorBase Developer | Kafatos/Christophides Groups |
Division of Cell and Molecular Biology | Imperial College London |
Phone +442075941945 | Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]