On 2011-02-01 11:29, Pawel Sztromwasser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on an external authentication plugin for BASE that will use
> an STS Web service to authenticate users. The plugin uses a bunch of
> external jars for WS communication, but with different versions then
> BASE. I was hoping for the same classloading mechanism as for regular
> plugins (separate classloaders), but it looks like external
> authentication plugins uses the default classloader of the webapp. Could
> this be changed? How else could I install my plugin, without messing
> with BASE's jars?

That part of BASE is not very "pluginified". I am not aware of any real
case that uses external authentication so it would be very interesting
to see if you succeed.

It's quite common that there are dependencies to different versions of
3rd-party JAR files, but it usually works if the latest one is used. But
of course, it may not work if the API has changed in an incompatible way.

If you can't get it to work by clever selection of JAR files, then you
might have to modify the Application.getAuthenticator() method so that
it uses a different class loader. It shouldn't be too difficult. It
could for example pick up a JAR path from the base.config file and then
use the net.sf.basedb.util.JarClassLoader.getInstance(path) to create a
class loader. Dependencies need to be listed in the MANIFEST.MF in the
same way as for plug-ins. There is a short notice about this at
http://base.thep.lu.se/chrome/site/latest/html/developerdoc/plugin_developer/plugin_developer.organize.html

and
http://base.thep.lu.se/chrome/site/latest/api/net/sf/basedb/util/JarClassLoader.html

As always, patches are welcome :)