MacCallum, Bob wrote:
> This is something we are interested in too.
>
> Currently we link to pages in BASE 1 doing the following:
>
> 1. modify nologin.phtml to fill in a guest username and password by default
> 2. guest account has very few priviliges and can't even change its own
>    password - which is rather important
>    (our server is down at the moment so I can't be specific)
> 3. make any public data world-readble
>
> The first link goes to the login page, but subsequent links to BASE
> go straight in.
>
> We've also written our own web script to summarise expression data for
> a given reporter or group of reporters - a bit like Experiment Explorer
> but also with some plots.  This takes the data direct from MySQL
> and is not portable!
>
> We'd be interested to know what we can do with BASE 2.

1) This shouldn't be too difficult. You should send parameters to the
login.jsp script as:

login.jsp?ID=SessionID&login=guest&password=secret

The SessionID must be a unique value for each user and used in all
subsequent requests to other JSP pages. This is important since the
SessionID is used for storing temporary settings and the web server
checks the IP-adresses so that the same SessionID can't be used from
more than one computer.

2) In Base2 you can mark the "Multi-user account" option for the quest
account. This will prevent the user from modifying the password, contact
information and no settings will be saved when the user logs out.

3) There is no "world-readable" setting in Base2. It is possible to
share items to the "Everyone" group, but this requires a special
permission that only administrators have by default. It would be better
to put everything in a project, and when the project is finished you can
share the entire project to the guest account with read permission.

/Nicklas