Ana Conesa wrote:
> Dear list
>
> We are setting up BASE2 for storage of our microarray data. We have
> finally managed to create plug-ins for reporters, arrays and raw data
> and we would like now to have a way in import in batch our existing
> experiments. I have been checking the base mailing list and found some
> references on this topic where it states that such batch import is
> supported but the is no UI available yet. My question is if there will
> be one in the near future and if not how it would be the way to address
> this task (if feasible for regular users). Or maybe some users have
> already create a solution.... Any help/tips on this topic are welcome

Well, I think the emails on the list regarding batch support mainly
concerns Base1. Apparently some users has created additional web pages
for adding multiple items in one go. I think this mainly means creating
biomaterials and hybridizations. I don't know if they also do file
uploading and import of data.

For Base2, it is true that no user inferface exists. The core API should
not have any problem with creating more than one item at once. So, this
means that "only" the user interface is missing. In theory this could be
done by a plugin, but plugins are not really intended for user interface
things and it might be difficult to create a good interface.

Another solution is to create one (or more) web page which asks for
everything that is needed, ie. biomaterial names, annotations, file to
upload, etc. Then another web page takes the input and does the actual
work. Parts that can take a long time to execute such as importing
reporters or raw data, should be done by adding jobs to the job queue to
avoid killing the web server.

At the moment we (the Base2 development team) doesn't have any plans to
develop a batch import interface.

/Nicklas