We'll be installing and test-driving BASE 2.x in the coming weeks, so
apologies if this question is too trivial.

It is possible that a reporter could have different names on different arrays
(e.g. oligos designed by different labs using the same software and gene
definitions).  So, is it possible to store such reporters in BASE 2 as single
instances, and handle the synonyms automatically during raw data import,
reporter annotation update, etc?  In BASE2 parlance (I believe) we would like
to use several ExternalIDs for one reporter.

BASE1 has reporter prefixes which would be suitable in some circumstances, but
not all.

This is one issue that arises as we use BASE in a multi-institution setting
(although it hasn't actually happened yet).

cheers,
Bob.

PS. the definition of "same reporter" probably depends both on reporter
sequence (or clone) and the species for which the array was intended.

--
Bob MacCallum | VectorBase Developer | Kafatos/Christophides Groups |
Division of Cell and Molecular Biology | Imperial College London |