Bob MacCallum wrote:
> Aren't all BASE upgrades designed to be done on top of an existing database?
> I've done several without nuking the db.
>
> Just run bin/updatedb.sh and bin/updateindexes.sh before using the new
> version.
>
> On a related note (I will probably be shot for not using a new subject line),
> why does bin/updatedb.sh say something like "creating database" or "creating
> tables" when in fact it isn't (or at least I hope not).

It says "Building database" and what it really does we don't actually
know. The updatedb.sh script fires off a Hibernate utility that compares
the existing database with the metadata information held in the
Hibernate configuration files. If it finds a missing table or column it
will create the table or add the column. If the database matches the
metadata nothing is done. The Hibernate utility doesn't support indexes,
so we have developed our own script for that. We put it into a separate
script since it is not critical and in case of a failure we don't want
it to break the real upgrade.

/Nicklas