We are also currently setting up a backup system for the main server
here in Lund. I am not really taking part of the practical work. My
"responsibility" is more to think out scenarios that would break the
backup system.

I think it would be good to discuss this on the mailing list and I hope
that others will join in as well. Here is what we think so far:

* We have ruled out using the "brute force" way. With that I mean
stopping everything and just backing up the database directory with
rsync (or something). The reason is that if the database files becomes
corrupt it may mean that we have a non-working backup. In our case, the
idea of stopping everything is also a big NO.

* We are currently investigating of a replication setup, where a master
database is connected to a single slave. When it is time for backup we
make sure that the slave is properly synchronized with the master. Then,
we disable the replication, use mysqldump to create the backup. When
everything is done, we turn on the replication again. What is currently
worrying us is that a full dump may take a very long time. So it is
maybe only possible to do that once a month or something. But, from the
documentation on the MySQL site it seems like it should be possible to
use the same bin-logs that are used for replication as some kind of
"incremental" backups.

* When backing up the files, there will always be synchronization issues
with the database. File uploads or deletions that take place during the
backup will leave the uploads directory in a state that is not
consistent with the file information in the database. Therefore a file
backup should start as soon as possible AFTER the database backup has
started.

Using subversion is an interesting idea. It may be tough on disk space
in the long run though, since nothing can never be deleted. Of course,
you can always remove the repository as a whole and start over again
with a fresh one at regular intervals...

More input and ideas are welcome.

/Nicklas