> I am testing external authentication using the POP3Authenticator and
> users can only log in if they have an account and home directory on the
> server. Is this normal? It is not a big nuisance, because it has the
> advantage of giving me more control on who can use Base, but it seemed a
> bit odd.

This is a bit odd. If the authentication server (in this case, the POP
server) says that the user/password is ok, BASE should automatically
create a new account. If this doesn't work, please submit an error report
on the BASE web site. Could it be that the POP server isn't responding to
BASE? Because if it doesn't and if you have configured BASE to cache
passwords, BASE will revert to using internal authentication. The
different scenarios are documented at
http://base.thep.lu.se/chrome/site/latest/html/developerdoc/plugin_developer/plugin_developer.other.html#plugin_developer.other.authentication

If a user has a home directory or not shouldn't affect the possibility to
login. If you find any problems which seems related to this please send
another bug report.

A final note. If you want the manual control, then I don't see the need
for using external authentication. Or, you should use an external system
that allows you to configure (in that system) who is allowed to use BASE
or not. But that is beyond the scope of the POP3Authenticator, which
should be considered as a proof-of-concept implementation.

/Nicklas