Hello BASErs,

After little hands-on session with BASE I have reported some
bugs/comments on trac:

http://base.thep.lu.se/ticket/1360#preview
http://base.thep.lu.se/ticket/1361#preview

These are rather minor things, but there is something that worries us
more. I know that the array design concept is not really holding when
comes to Illumina technology. It is more like a list of features. I am
also aware of that some features are being removed from consecutive
versions of .bgx files. Thus the 'skip feature' option had to be
introduced to import plugin allowing skipping some features that are
present in raw data files, but not .bgx files. It is a common practice
to run this plugin with skip option set to true.

This has a serious implication: one can accidentally import data from
human IBS file to a raw bioassay that has a mouse (for example) array
design attached to it. If features are allowed to be skipped, a common
subset of features will be imported to db and no warnings will be issued
about wrong design. To mislead the user even more, the raw data file
will be marked as validated (because plugin finished run with no errors).

The array design concept was intended to provide a way of checking if
the right raw data files are linked with right samples/extracts in the
experiment, and that the right data is analyzed in experiment. It seems
that it might not be the case for Illumina.

Do you think there is a way to improve this and provide control over
what gets imported with what design?

Best wishes,
Pawel